The West Sound Beekeeper’s Association (WSBA) will grant up to $200.00 in order to furnish guidance and instruction to help a selected young person between the ages of 13 through 18 get started in beekeeping. Applicants must live within the service area of the WSBA and attend scheduled meetings and activities.
Grantees will be required to complete the Apprentice level course in the Washington State
University/Washington State Beekeeper’s Association Master Beekeeping Certification
program within one year of grant selection. This involves up to 5 hours of classroom
instruction and successful completion of a written examination. Grantees will additionally
be required to establish and maintain at least two colonies of honey bees in Langstroth
type hives. Failure to meet the above requirements will necessitate return to the WSBA
of all loaned and/or donated equipment.
• Applications may be obtained through any one of the West Sound Beekeepers Association
(WSBA) Scholarship Committee members.
• Study Grant applications shall be received from August 1 through November 1 of each year.
Applications received after November 1 will not be accepted.
• The term of the Study Grant shall be for one year starting January 1.
• At the discretion of the Scholarship Committee, applications not filled out completely
and legibly will not be accepted.
• The service area of the WSBA shall include all of West Sound and those parts of
adjoining counties were attendance to all the general meetings, Beginner Beekeepers classes,
and field days will not be a hardship.
• All applicants must have reached the age of 13 by January 1 of the year following the
year of acceptance.
• Grantees will receive a one year membership in the WSBA and up to $200 of bee equipment
• Grantees will be expected to give an oral presentation of what they have learned
from the program.
• Application forms may be downloaded below or obtained by contacting one of the following: